10. Bike or hike on the Cowboy Trail. This used to be the railroad across Nebraska. The State bought it and has made a trail across Nebraska to bike or hike. You will see several rolling hills, wild life, and ranchland as you have never seen before.
9. Take a trail ride by horseback. We have several places where you can rent a horse and see Cherry County as the locals see it.
8. Visit the Valentine Refuge. You can drive thru several acres and see the buffalo, elk, deer, turkeys, and other wild life. It is a great place to take a nice evening drive.
7. Visit Snake Falls. Among Nebraska’s most spectacular waterfalls, Snake River Falls rushes over a 54-foot-wide ledge. When the Snake is full, it rushes over the edge at a rateof 230 cubic feet per second and sprays mist acrossthe canyon.
6. Fish and Camp at Meritt Reservoir. It is a great lake for fishing Walleye, crappie, and white bass along with catfish. You can also take the jet ski and boat out for a little skiing or tubing. There are some great camp sites and the view is amazing in the evening. At night, you will see the stars like you have not seen them before. Great place for star gazing!
5. Golf at the Prairie Club. This is a new addition to the Valentine area. There a 3 different courses to play. The Prairie Club’s Dunes Course, designed by architects Tom Lehman and Chris Brands, was recently ranked #95 on Golfweek’s list of top 100 modern courses. The Dunes’ new position is up 8 spots from the 2012 ranking of #103.
4. Eat Nebraska’s Best Burger at the Peppermill. Recently voted the best burger in Nebraska, the Peppermill is a family owned dining experience you won’t soon forget. Valentine has numerous eating places and we do not have a bad place to eat in Valentine!
3. Stand under Smith Falls. Smith Falls is one of the tallest natural waterfalls in Nebraska. You can take the boardwalk walking trail up to Nebraska’s tallest Waterfall viewing area in Smith Falls State Park on the Niobrara River. Beautiful Scenic Trail – much of it overlooking Niobrara River or stream from Smith Falls Waterfall.
2. Tube or Canoe the Niobrara River. As you glide along discover the variety of plants and wildlife as five different ecological systems meet along a thirty mile stretch of river. So get ready to enjoy the many scenic waterfalls that feed the river. Whether you tube or canoe, we know you’ll agree that your trip down the Niobrara is an adventure the whole family will cherish.
1. Stop and Shop Young’s Western. Young’s Western Wear is one the most premier western stores in the USA. We carry all the top brands of western clothing and footwear along with a full line of tack. The New York Times has claimed us the “purveyor of all things cowboy”.
So, trying to figure a place to take the family on vacation this summer? Plan a trip to Valentine NE… The Heart City!